If you’re a Christian, I believe this post could potentially provide some much-needed “revelation” that you may have been searching for.
If you’ve been alive for even a handful of years, you’ve probably had your share or perhaps more than your share of life’s disappointments.
Am I right?
The times we’re living in offer us a continuous supply of difficult and sometimes overwhelming challenges to face and overcome. And some seem to be insurmountable and unending at times.
Whether you realize it or not, some of those “challenges” you’ve been experiencing may not have been the normal, everyday challenges that come with life.
They could have been a specific strategy of your enemy, satan, sent out against you to get you off course so that you cannot fulfill the purpose God has planned for you.
They could have been sent to distract you, frustrate you, get you to question God in some way or for a host of other reasons. But you can be assured of this one thing, nothing from the devil is ever good!
Your Enemy’s Primary Purpose
I titled this post as I did, because, while we as Christians never want to become devil conscious, it’s equally foolish to ignore the truth that we have a very real enemy that comes only to steal, kill and destroy (see John 10:10).
According to a study done by the Barna Group in April of 2009, 40% of Christians polled at that time did not believe there is a “literal devil” or satan. And polls have shown that those who do agree he is real, don’t really see him as a legitimate threat. They think he’s more like an evil Halloween character or symbol.
It goes without saying, that considering the present spiritual and moral state of this nation, that percentage above has probably increased. And that is why so many people are being deceived at an alarming rate.
To be ignorant of your enemy in the natural or spiritual realm is very foolish! Make no mistake, satan is persistent, cunning, knowledgeable and focused on your demise in any way he can accomplish it.
However, this post is in no way intended to imply that we are without hope or that somehow satan and his minions have gotten the upper hand with God.
One breath from God and satan is ashes!
What am I hoping to do in this post is two-fold.
- Expose the enemy’s attacks in your life.
- And, by doing so, offer you hope to ward off future attacks.
Are You Under Attack?
If you’re a Christian and truly love God with your whole heart and want to serve Him, you have a spiritual enemy who is fully intent on distracting you by any means necessary so that you can’t fulfill your God-given purpose.
Do not be misled into thinking that you must be a pastor, a missionary, or hold some other role of spiritual leadership to qualify for an attack from your enemy.
If you’ve done anything for God’s kingdom with the right heart, you’ve no doubt experienced the resistance of satan or one of his demons at one time or another.
What I want to focus on now are the different manifestations or things that can occur in your life, letting you know that you may be under attack from your enemy.
How He Attacks Us
I’m sure there are many ways we experience spiritual attacks of satan that we are probably not aware of yet. But I’m going to target eight specific ones that I have been experiencing in my personal life and am in the process of resisting and overcoming with the help of Holy Spirit.
- Lack of spiritual passion: the enemy simply distracts you with other worldly interests or negative, difficult circumstances, or painful physical issues for long periods of time until it seems to neutralize your will to resist him. He simply steals your tenacity and righteous anger against sin.
- Frustration: you began to get frustrated easily with daily responsibilities that you normally perform effortlessly, even to the point of becoming anxious and agitated.
- Confusion about your purpose: long-term spiritual attacks bring confusion about your God-given purpose and destiny. And you began to be more susceptible to doubt and double-mindedness.
- You begin losing Holy Spirit peace: The enemy bombards you with temptations, cares, mental fatigue and exhaustion. This can ultimately rob your peace that passes all understanding.
- Unusually tired and sluggish: This can be physical, but many times it is spiritual because our bodies, minds and spirits are so closely woven together.
- Strong urge to quit your assignment: Once again, long-term attacks can really wear on you mentally, physically and spiritually. The devil hates for us to pursue God’s purpose for our lives, then he can be successful in bringing disappointment and more frustration to us.
- Drawn back to old bondages ( a big one): Long spiritual battles can wear you down to the point where your will becomes so neutralized that it becomes extremely difficult to resist temptations to bondages you used to be involved in but were completely delivered from.
- It’s critically important with this step that you have an accountability partner “if” you’ve had a previous problem with a stronghold or addiction.
- Your enemy would love to pull you back in so that he can put guilt and condemnation on you.
- And lastly, you begin to question a “once clear call”: after a serious long-standing battle, your enemy has much greater success in presenting “valid reasons” for you to just give up and throw in the towel. You seriously question your direction, purpose and assignment that once was “crystal clear” to you. It woke you up in the morning, accompanied you through the day and went to bed with you at night. The promise “had” you.
- You now question very legitimate and accurate prophetic words that were spoken over you at one time.
- And if the attack is serious enough, you may even begin to contemplate sinful acts that you used to engage in, and now ignore the serious nature of.
Keys to Freedom
- Renew your mind with God’s word: keep reading and studying the bible to be able the hear Holy Spirit’s voice clearly. Ask God for wisdom and direction for His strategy to victory for you.
- Breakthrough to victory by faith: Heb. 11:1 says faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not yet seen. In Eph. 6:16, The Passion Translation says, “In every battle, take faith as your wrap-around shield, for it is able to extinguish the blazing arrows coming at you from the Evil One.”
- Breakthrough by prayer and fasting: In Mark 9:29, Jesus told his disciples that the kind of demon they encountered in the epileptic boy was only driven out by prayer and fasting. Jesus lived a lifestyle of fasting and it showed. Some attacks will only be overcome by prayer and fasting. It purifies our heart and crucifies our flesh, making us much more dependent on God.
- Breakthrough with resistance: The bibles says in James 4:7 to submit yourself to God, resist the devil, and he WILL flee. It may not be immediately, but God’s word is true and will not return void, it will come to pass as He has declared it will.
- And lastly, sharpen your discernment: Memorize and meditate on Hebrews 5:14. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil (NKJV).
You can grow in spiritual discernment to the point that you can actually use your physical and spiritual senses to detect smells, temperature and other things in the spiritual atmosphere. God made us that way so that He can always lead us in triumph.
Disclaimer: I listed eight types of attacks, but the formatting did not allow me to put them in numerical order so I bolded them instead.
Serving You Truth,